It’s official! It’s time to go dancing!
Four teams from the Mountain West — San Diego State, Boise State, Utah State and Nevada — have all punched tickets to this year’s NCAA Tournament! It marks the second consecutive year the conference put four teams into the tournament.
Regular season and tournament champion San Diego State earned the No. 5 seed in the South Region, scheduled to take on the No. 12 seed Charleston in Orlando, Fla. Joining them in the South Region is Utah State, who earned the No. 10 seed and will face No. 7-seeded Missouri. Both teams will play on Thursday.
To some surprise: Nevada, who lost three straight and were on the bubble, made the tournament after a very sweat-inducing 48-72 hours. They entered today ranked No. 37 in the NET with four Quad 1 wins and seven Quad 1-2 victories!
Nevada is in the West Region, earning one of the last two first-four in spots and will go up against Arizona State on Wednesday. To add more fuel to the fire, two of Nevada’s best players from their 2021-22 team — Desmond Cambridge Jr. and Warren Washington — transferred to Arizona State last offseason. The winner will face No. 6 TCU in Denver, Colo., on Friday.
Boise State will also be in the West Region as a No. 10 seed, scheduled to go up against No. 7 Northwestern in Sacramento on Thursday.
Other postseason tournaments for possibly San Jose State and New Mexico have yet to be disclosed.
The Mountain West has not had a successful last four NCAA Tournaments, going 2-11 over its last 13 games. The conference has lost their last nine NCAA Tournament games — and it’s “insane” to expect different results, per Albert Einstein; so let’s have an insane tournament!
When is each game?
Here are the tip-off times for the Mountain West teams:
- No. 11 Nevada vs. No. 11 Arizona State, March 15, 9:10 pm ET (Dayton, Ohio)
- No. 10 Utah State vs. No. 7 Missouri, March 16, 1:40 pm ET (Sacramento, Calif.)
- No. 5 San Diego State vs. No. 12 Charleston, March 16, 3:10 pm ET (Orlando, Fla.)
- No. 10 Boise State vs. No. 7 Northwestern, March 16, 7:35 pm ET (Sacramento, Calif.)
Official time/dates for each @MountainWest game:— Matt Hanifan (@mph_824_) March 13, 2023
- Nevada/ASU: Wednesday, March 15 @ 9:10 pm ET
- Utah State/Missouri: Thursday @ 1:40 pm ET
- SDSU/Charleston: Thursday @ 3:10 pm ET
- Boise State/Northwestern: Thursday @ 7:35 pm ET
(photo via @GoodmanHoops) @MWCConnection pic.twitter.com/0QDLEGoJl9
This is a breaking news story. Stay tuned for updates.