clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Colorado State vs. Boise State final score: Rams hang on to beat Broncons in double-overtime thriller

Another game and another error on the Mountain West refs as the game winning shot by Boise State was called oof.

Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

Colorado State and Boise State reminded college basketball fans Wednesday night that you haven't seen it all. After 14 lead changes, two overtimes and game winning shot waved off because the clock didn't start on time, the Rams (14-10, 6-5) walked away with a 97-93 win.

These two didn't appear to be on their way to an unbelievable finish in first half. The Rams led the majority of the foul ridden half taking a 36-35 lead into halftime. The one highlight was Broncos (16-9, 7-5) senior guard Montigo Alford. Alford didn't play against the Rams in their meeting earlier this year but received the spot start as head coach Leon Rice looked to shake things up after losing three of their last four.

Alford, who averaged a little over two points a game, had 14 first half points on his way to a career high 25. He was also four of four from three-point range and made seven for the game. Alford had seven three-pointers for the entire season coming into the night.

The second half turned into a back and forth game. The Rams were up 74-72 after a pair of redshirt senior Tiel Daniels (12 points, 13 rebounds) free throws. Broncos forward James Webb III (10 points, 7 rebounds) tied the game with 22 seconds remaining and Rams head coach Larry Eustachy decided to not call a timeout and play for the last shot. Redshirt junior guard John Gillon found Daniels under the basket but he missed the layup and it was off to overtime.

Redshirt senior guard Antwan Scott missed a three-pointer and Gillon couldn't save the rebound turning the ball over to the Broncos with .8 seconds on the clock. The Broncos Webb caught the inbound pass and off his left foot, fading away out of bounds, knocked in the seemingly game winning basket off the backboard. After a nearly 10 minute delay the referees waved off the basket saying that the clock operator didn't start the clock on time.

The Rams went on a 9-0 run to start the second overtime while the Broncos were still in shock about Webb's game winner being overturned. After Broncos coach Leon Rice received a technical foul with a little over a minute to play, the Broncos woke up and clawed their way back into the game thanks to redshirt senior Anthony Drmic's (17 points) back-to-back three-pointers to make it 96-93 with 22.2 seconds left.

The Broncos had a chance to tie the game after a steal but redshirt senior guard Lonnie Jackson (11 points) missed an open three-pointer. That would be as close as the Broncos would get as Rams senior guard Joe De Ciman (10 points) made one of two free throws to seal the game and give the Rams their second win in a row.

The Rams travel to Las Vegas Saturday for their next game as they square off against UNLV. Tip off is scheduled for 8pm MST and can be seen on ESPNU.