It’s another week of the MWC Recruiting Roundup.
Signing Day has come and gone and the big recruiting push has ended and things will slow down over the next few weeks for the dead period. Some offers were still made, mainly to transfers or future classes, and there is still some action as far as commitments and decommittments go. Outside of a big push for transfers this weekend, things are slow-moving over the holidays in the dead period. This was the weekend transfer visits were allowed so they can enroll for the spring semester. Due to that, there were a lot of visitors this weekend, even more than were recorded here. As far as commitments go, 12 players committed to Mountain West teams. Specifically, Wyoming gained three new commits and they take the cover photo this week.
Class of 2023 Cover Photo Total:
- Air Force: 7
- Colorado State: 6
- Boise State: 5
- Nevada: 5
- Hawaii: 4
- San Diego State: 4
- UNLV: 4
- San Jose State: 3
- Fresno State: 2
- New Mexico: 2
- Wyoming: 2
- Utah State: 1
From now until January 13th, we are in a Dead Period. However, for this past weekend, college transfers were permitted to take visits to campuses. This is so they can commit in time to enroll for the spring semester.
RECRUITs: The new 2022-2023 Division 1 FBS Recruiting Calendar has been released. Save this copy to know when you can visit schools and when coaches can visit you! #Recruiting101 pic.twitter.com/1reJ4XR9Gn— Coach J.R. Sandlin (@JR_Sandlin) July 12, 2022
The most restrictive of all the recruiting periods is the NCAA Dead Period. During the dead period, coaches may not have any in-person contact with recruits and/or their parents. In other words, coaches are not allowed to talk to recruits at their college campus, the athlete’s school, an athletic camp or even the grocery store.
While the term “dead period” makes it seem like all recruiting stops during this time, that’s actually not the case. Athletes and coaches are still allowed to communicate via phone, email, social media and other digital communication channels. While NCAA Division 1 programs are prohibited from conducting any in-person recruiting, D1 college coaches can still contact student-athletes via digital forms of communication during the dead period.
Air Force Commitment Tracker:
Since the Air Force Academy regularly has by far the most commits among Mountain West recruiting classes, it’s kind of fun to track them over the course of the year.
Number of Falcon verbal commits: 62
- ATH Mason Hayes was offered by Air Force
- ATH Jace Villers was offered by Air Force
- OL TJ Tarascio was offered by Air Force
- QB Jacob Kilzer was offered by Air Force
- Transfer DE Kivon Wright was offered by Boise State
- OL Abraham Bangoura was offered by Colorado State
- Transfer OL Jalen Grant was offered by Colorado State
- Transfer TE Jermaine Terry II was offered by Hawaii and Nevada
- Transfer DB Tre Weed was offered by Nevada
- Transfer DT Mackavelli Laie Malotumau was offered by Nevada
- Transfer OL Bula Schmidt was offered by Nevada
- DB Edward Blacklock was offered by New Mexico
- JUCO DB Aaron Smith was offered by New Mexico
- 2026 DB Brandon Lockhart was offered by SJSU
- ATH Corey Thompson Jr. was offered by UNLV
- Transfer K Cole Becker was offered by UNLV
- 2024 RB Braylen Russell was offered by UNLV
- 2024 WR/DB Noreel White was offered by UNLV
- 2025 TE/LB Carter Jones was offered by UNLV
- Transfer WR Jalen Richmond was offered by Wyoming
Obviously, there were many more visits this weekend than listed here.
- Transfer OL Sheldon Newton visited Boise State
- Transfer WR Devin Boodie Jr visited Wyoming
- RB Owen Allen committed to Air Force
- DT Kade Tompkins committed to Air Force
- DE Mulumba Wa-kalonji committed to Colorado State
- Transfer RB Ashton Hayes committed to Nevada
- Transfer LS Brendan Durkin committed to New Mexico
- Transfer DT Samuela Tuihalamaka committed to SDSU
- Transfer QB Jay-Butterfield committed to SJSU
- QB Blake Boda committed to UNLV
- Transfer WR Colby Bowman committed to Utah State
- DE Ethan Day committed to Wyoming
- JUCO DB Tyrecus Davis committed to Wyoming
- Transfer WR Devin Boddie Jr. committed to Wyoming
- K Kaden Lorick decommitted from Nevada
Follow @Mike_SBN on Twitter for all the latest recruiting news and updates.
For recruits and coaches who want to connect and find a good match in the recruitment process, consider downloading the Athletes In Recruitment app.