Another weekend of college football is in the books! The Mountain West had some big wins, going 8-3 on the weekend. Taking down a PAC team and beating your rival is awesome, although there were some rough losses as well. No matter the outcome, coverage is still coming your way today in the form of game links from the weekend and original content later today and all of this week.
After a really tough loss, Boise State let out their frustration on poor UTEP. Khalil Shakir showed why he is one of the best players in the conference and the Bronco defense forced six turnovers. The offense was much more explosive as well, although the Miners were a big drop off from UCF. Next weekend’s game against Oklahoma State looms large.
Again, it wasn’t pretty, at least not initially. Utah State was actually losing at halftime. But then, Bonner and the offense woke up and completely dominated, turning this one into a big win. It’s still hard to know what kind of team the Aggies are, but there is no question they are a 2-0 team.
The Cowboys jumped out to a big lead, then gave it up, and had to come from behind to pull out a win against the Huskies. The offense had no trouble putting up points, which was a sharp contrast to last week. However, the defense completely disappeared in the second half, which was also a turnaround from last week.
Vanderbilt is a P5/SEC team, at least in name. However, they are a doormat. So much so that they have not beaten an FBS team in their OCC schedule since 2017. Sean Keeler doesn’t seem to think they will get a win all season now after losing two seemingly winnable games. CSU did look much better in their second game and played competitively but it wasn’t enough.
Non-update Update on Conference Expansion
Statement from MW Board of Directors on Conference Realignment pic.twitter.com/HYEYHMUUL6— Mountain West (@MountainWest) September 9, 2021
On the horizon:
- From the weekend: Don’t miss the game recaps from Boise State, Utah State, Nevada, Wyoming, San Diego State, Hawaii, New Mexico.
- Later today: MWCConnection Players of the Week: Week 2
- Later today: A new MWC Recruiting Roundup, with the latest news and offers and interviews.
- Later today: Power Rankings: Week 2
- Later today: Fresno State and Air Force game recaps.
- Coming Tuesday: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Week 2
- Coming Wednesday: Peak Perspective: The Mountain West has lost the Conference Realignment Battle but now needs to win a battle (or two).
- Coming Wednesday: Bowl Projections: Week 2