During the offseason, we are continuing our weekly series discussing thoughts on arguably the best football TV show ever in Friday Night Lights. If you haven’t seen it, there is no better time to start. If you have seen it, there’s no better time to rewatch it. And if you’re like me, and watch an episode or season every year in preparation for college football, you’re right on track. Regardless of which category you fit into, it’s on Hulu, and you can follow along each week (on a Friday, of course) as a different episode from season one will be discussed, from the heartbreaking cliffhanger of the pilot to the final nail-biting game.
Random thoughts in live-tweet form.
- Eric and Tami are looking for houses and planning the move. Julie walks in on them and states that she is refusing to move again.
- Jason is having a great showing at tryouts for the Olympic team. Unfortunately, the coaches told him he did not make the team and encourage him to try again in four years.
- A defeated Jason doesn’t find comfort in Herc, but he does in Suzy. She offers to give him a ride back to Dillon.
- Jackie comes over to Tim and tells him not to fix her rain gutters. However, she does need him to pick her son up from school. Tim agrees without any issue.
- Waverly confides in Smash that she has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and that is why she has been acting differently recently.
- Buddy has the idea to make a photo album to give to Pam as an act of forgiveness. He is convinced this is what will make Pam forgive him.
- Buddy tells Lyla he can’t live without his family and that is was one mistake that won’t happen again.
- Tim is late getting Bo and finds him getting bullied by four other kids. Tim breaks up the scene and Bo is elated that Tim Riggins is picking him up from school.
- Eric tries to convince Julie how much she will love Austin.
- Matt is freaking out about playing the next game and being able to see over the defensive line. Julie tries not to spoil the secret of her dad accepting another job.
- Jason vents to Suzy and she tries to cheer him up.
- Tami meets with Tyra’s mom in order to motivate Tyra in her schoolwork. Tami wants Tyra’s mom to help but she doesn't seem on board.
- Jason and Suzy kiss, with Jason doing most of the initiating.
- Tyra goes to Tami for tutoring.
- Tim teaches Bo how to fight so he can defend himself. Jackie doesn’t approve and chastizes Tim while he pleads his case.
- Tyra’s mom comes in to pick Tyra up right before dinner. They invite her to stay but she declines and wants to take Tyra with her, feeling threatened. Her mom tells her she isn’t going to college and that Tami is promising her things that won’t happen.
- Tim stays to watch a movie while Jackie and Bo fall asleep. He puts Bo to bed and Jackie is impressed. Tim kisses her and Jackie sends him out of the house.
- Jason tells Lyla he didn’t make the team while he throws his trophies away. Jason tells Lyla nothing happened and Lyla calls him out on being attracted to Suzy. They break off the engagement.
- Buddy goes to see Pam and isn’t having it. She tells him not to come by again. Pam discloses to Lyla that Buddy has been unfaithful to Pam their entire marriage and Lyla is enraged.
- Tami tells Eric that she thinks Julie is having a hard time with the thought of moving because she’s in love.
- Jason gets denied at the liquor store because he’s a minor, but Tim (who is likely younger) buys beer for both of them with his fake ID.
- Smash gets Jason to come out and drink with him, Tim, and Matt on the field.
- All the guys vent about their problems, with girls and otherwise. Matt is worried he will let the whole team and town down. Jason helps him adjust his mindset and his fundamentals. More importantly, he gives him confidence.
- Jason teaches him to throw a deep out, a route half of college QBs can’t even complete.
- Eric and Julie go to the Daddy-Daughter dance. Eric wants to talk to Julie about Matt and the move. Julie opens up about how much she didn’t want to move to Dillon and hated it there at first. But then she became happy and Dillon felt like home. She wants to realize her dreams just like she wants her dad to realize his.
- Tyra calls out her mom about how she’s been acting. Her mom takes them to the Daddy-Daughter dance and tells Tyra how much she loves her and that she is doing her best to make a good life for her.
- While the Taylor’s and Collete’s have nice bonding parent/child bonding, Lyla goes to her father’s car dealership and runs his cars into the windows to break them. This show is all about mirroring.
- The boys fall asleep on the field and Jason and Tim make up.
- Jackie is waiting for Tim when he gets home. Bo is out of the house and she makes a move on him. They end up in the bedroom as she says “Bo can never know.”
- Eric asks TMU for more time to make a family decision.
Coach Taylor’s speeches.
- Jason is 17. So is he a junior or a senior?
Quote of the episode.
“You hit the slants and hit the posts, they’ll respect you. You hit this route, they will fear you.” - Jason Street.
Clear eyes. Full heart. Can’t Lose. official counter: 15
Texas Forever official counter: 6
Riggins quitting the team official counter: 1
Coach Taylor calling Landry ‘Lance’ official counter: 2
Jason’s job aspirations: