During the offseason, we are continuing our weekly series discussing thoughts on arguably the best football TV show ever in Friday Night Lights. If you haven’t seen it, there is no better time to start. If you have seen it, there’s no better time to rewatch it. And if you’re like me, and watch an episode or season every year in preparation for college football, you’re right on track. Regardless of which category you fit into, it’s on Hulu, and you can follow along each week (on a Friday, of course) as a different episode from season one will be discussed, from the heartbreaking cliffhanger of the pilot to the final nail-biting game.
Random thoughts in live-tweet form.
- Tami tells Eric not to commit to anything at his formal interview/meet and greet at TMU later today
- Tim and Jackie continue to sneak around behind Bo’s back. Tim continues to bond with Bo.
- The TMU head coach praises Eric for all the accomplishments he had done at the high school level, specifically player development. However, it is clear he is getting impatient that Eric hasn’t given them a decision yet and questions if he is having second thoughts. He gives Eric an ultimatum in the moment and he accepts the offer.
- Landry ditches class to go see Tyra and ask if she is okay. She isn’t ready to talk about it and tells him not to speak about it with anyone.
- Jason runs into Suzy at the City Clerk’s office. She mentions she will be in town for a few weeks and Jason offers to hang out with her. They both seem excited.
- Landry ends up telling Matt about Tyra’s assault and Matt is very concerned.
- Eric and Tami tell Julie he took the job in Austin. She is upset and doesn’t talk about it with them, and instead goes to Matt’s house. She is in tears as she tells him the news. He consoles her as best he can.
- In a funny exchange, Coach Taylor and Jason talk to Matt and make sure he isn’t getting to high on himself after his big win in the semi-finals. Coach Taylor tells him Jason has his blessing to do and say whatever he needs to in order to help Matt prepare for the championship.
- Landry goes to Mrs. Taylor for help with Tyra and together they go to Tyra’s house and convince her to make a statement at the police station. She gives her statement and they take pictures of her marks and bruises. It’s a difficult situation for her.
- Landry tries to explain why he did what he did, but Tyra breaks down and yells at him and tells him to stay away from her.
- Julie feels forgotten by her friends already and is tired of moving around.
- Tami proposes the idea that Tami and Julie stay in Dillon so Tami can keep working and Julie can finish high school. Eric immediately says no, due to splitting the family up. They get in a big fight.
- Waverly gives Smash a two-week hiatus from their relationship. Similarly, Jackie calls off her relationship with Tim because she is worried that Bo will end up getting hurt.
- Continuing the theme of relationships, Buddy and Pam announce they are getting divorced. Lyla ends up walking out as she doesn’t want to be in the same room as Buddy.
- Suzzy admits she likes Jason and he says he feels the same way. They kiss and Lyla pulls up and sees them. She is furious and having an awful night and throws the ring back at him.
- Tim tries to let Bo down easy but it’s hard for him and Bo still wants to hang out.
- Tim goes to see Tyra because he needs to see someone and needs a friend. Tyra tells him he doesn't know what a friend is, but Tim convinces her to hang out at the Panther roast.
- At the roast, most people aren’t feeling good being there. Jason, Lyla, Matt, Julie, Eric, and Tami clearly don’t want to be there. Some jokes are funny and others fall flat, as Riggins can attest to. Tami mixes her roast of Eric with humor and a description of how much he cares about the team. It hits everyone in the feels.
- Smash gets invited to a party by a girl, but he surprisingly passes.
- Tyra goes over to talk to Landry after the roast. She apologizes to him and explains how she took her feelings out on him. Landry isn’t having it and tries to get her to see she should be with someone who deserves him.
- Smash goes to see Waverly instead of going out. Jason goes to see Lyla to talk but Lyla is ready to move on and asks him not to come back.
- Eric and Tami reconcile but Tami tells him she can’t go to Austin and leave everything in Dillon.
Coach Taylor’s speeches.
- Jason says he is an official assistant football coach and is filling out paperwork so he can be paid. However, remember in the homecoming episode where another former star QB, Lucas, asks for an assistant coach job and Coach Taylor tells him they don’t have any more room in the budget? Maybe it’s easier to pay Jason for two games than Lucas for most of the season.
Quote of the episode.
“Now about Tim Riggins: there are two things you can say that will put a smile on his face. One: We’re going to state! And two: The results are in; you are NOT the father!” - Smash
Clear eyes. Full heart. Can’t Lose. official counter: 16
Texas Forever official counter: 7
Riggins quitting the team official counter: 1
Coach Taylor calling Landry ‘Lance’ official counter: 2
Jason’s job aspirations:
quad-rugby player, football coach