During the offseason, we are continuing our weekly series discussing thoughts on arguably the best football TV show ever in Friday Night Lights. If you haven’t seen it, there is no better time to start. If you have seen it, there’s no better time to rewatch it. And if you’re like me, and watch an episode or season every year in preparation for college football, you’re right on track. Regardless of which category you fit into, it’s on Hulu, and you can follow along each week (on a Friday, of course) as a different episode from season one will be discussed, from the heartbreaking cliffhanger of the pilot to the final nail-biting game.
Random thoughts in live-tweet form.
- Tim and his dad hustle guys in pool. Tim’s dad is having a great time with it all.
- Matt and Julie “study” and his grandma isn’t catching on at all. Julie tells him it’s time for them to have sex.
- Matt goes to Landry and Smash for advice on the matter.
- Herc and Jason hit Austin for practice.
- Tyra goes to Billy in attempt to help Tim. Billy is letting Tim make his own mistakes.
- Buddy confides in Eric about having an affair.
- Tami sees Matt and Landry looking at condoms. She asks Julie about it and she denies it initially, but then tells the truth. Tami tries to have a serious conversation with her and Julie isn’t shutting down.
- Julie talks to Matt and says she still wants to go through with it. However, it seems like many of the guys on the team know. They are both worried about the news getting back to Eric.
- Walt comes to watch practice and starts giving Eric a hard time about the way he does things.
- After practice, Mac tells Eric the new $3,000 camera is missing. Hmmm
- Jason is talking to Lyla on the phone about a great day at practice, and he likes his odds to make the team. Lyla notices her dad comes home with flowers for her mom.
- Jason runs into the woman (Suzy) from the registration desk at the party and they talk and have a connection.
- Mac tells Eric that Walt was seen at the scene of the crime concerning the camera. Eric says he will take care of it. Walt denies it and Tim gets defensive about it.
- Buddy is talking to Tyra’s mom, saying he didn’t mean what he said and did, that it was in the heat of passion, and he tries to pay her off to keep quiet.
- Julie goes to Tyra for advice. She tells Julie that she doesn’t have to do it.
- Jason opens up to Suzy about his accident and becoming paralyzed. She convinces him to get a tattoo.
- Tim finds the camera and confronts his dad. Tim tells him to leave the house.
- Eric finds Julie’s latest purchase and Tami talks to Eric about what’s been going on. Staying on brand, Eric freaks out and checks into Julie’s alibi.
- Julie seems to be anxious. Matt lets her know they don’t have to do this and she seems relieved. Eric and Tami wait up for Julie to get home. Tami says things are out of their control but she just wants Julie to be able to talk to her.
- Matt and Julie play games and have a great night.
- Tim is drinking and goes looking for a fight to deal with his emotions.
- Tyra’s mom tells her she got fired and Tyra is angry.
- Tim gets beat up and Tyra and Billy come to save him from a worse fate.
- Matt and Julie fell asleep and she missed curfew by a lot. In their panic to get Julie home, Matt tells her that he loves her. Julie tells Matt she loves him.
- Angela drives to church to confront Buddy. Tyra follows not knowing what is going on. Angela hits Buddy and calls him a liar in font of everyone and Buddy’s wife Pam figures out what happened.
- Tim returns the camera to Eric. Eric invites him inside and Tim just says he will see him at practice as he leaves. Nothing more needs to be said.
Coach Taylor’s speeches.
Quote of the episode.
“And I have faith in us. And I have faith in her.” - Coach Taylor
Clear eyes. Full heart. Can’t Lose. official counter: 15
Texas Forever official counter: 4
Riggins quitting the team official counter: 1
Coach Taylor calling Landry ‘Lance’ official counter: 2
Jason’s job aspirations: quad-rugby player