Another weekend of college football is in the books! The Mountain West played some fun games this past weekend, with our first weekend of only conference games. No matter what the outcomes were, coverage is still coming your way today in the form of game links from the weekend and original content later today and all of this week.
It wasn’t a pretty game by any means. For much of the game, SJSU had more penalties than points. It was a battle of defenses, punters and kickers. Both QBs seemed to live or die by rolling out of the pocket and throwing on the run, often to their talented tight-ends. Somehow the game went into double overtime, and SDSU pulled out a victory.
In a battle of defenses, Fresno State proved to be up for the challenge. Not to take anything away from the Wyoming defense, who limited the dynamic Bulldogs offense to just 17 points. But the Bulldogs forced five turnovers, and held a lifeless Cowboy offense scoreless for the entire game.
UNLV came out with tons of energy and a strong sense of belief that they could beat Utah State. That was true for three quarters. But the Aggies are a comeback team, doing so in each of their wins, and prevailed again this week. The game got off to an exciting start, with a 100-yard kickoff return, a 75-yard run, a targeting call, a fumble at the goal line, and a taunting penalty, all in the first quarter.
The Air Force blueprint worked to perfection against BSU. Run early and often, score nearly every play, and dominate the time of possession. It was a close for the entire game, but the Falcons felt in control from the second quarter on. They move to 6-1, end a four-game losing streak against BSU, and are picking up some polling votes.
SDSU entrenched in the rankings.
On the horizon:
- From the weekend: Don’t miss the game recaps from: SJSU, SDSU, Nevada, Boise State, Hawaii
- Later today: MWCConnection Players of the Week: Week 7
- Later today: A new MWC Recruiting Roundup, with the latest news, offers and interviews.
- Later today: Power Rankings: Week 7
- Coming Tuesday: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Week 7
- Coming Wednesday: Peak Perspective: The Different Types of Mountain West Players
- Coming Wednesday: Bowl Projections: Week 7