Finally Friday! We made it. Goodbye July, Hello college sports news...
At the time of this article’s posting, 17 student athletes have tested positive for Covid-19 at Colorado State. At least eight are positive for certain. CSU has paused all football related activities at this time. With their first two games cancelled already due to being out of conference, the Rams do have some extra time to get this managed.
Nathan Pine, the athletic director for Air Force, posted an open letter to fans earlier this week. He lets fans know they and the Mountain West are doing everything they can to have sports resume this fall. Of course things can change by the day or often even change by the hour. They, along with other schools, are participating in summer workout programs and as things unfold in the weeks, more info will of course come out.
Jon Rothstein takes a look at the Mountain West men’s basketball picture. The conference will go through the Aztecs once again. However, he states Boise State is “oozing with talent”, really likes the front court talent of Utah State, and has high praise for Bryce Hamilton at UNLV.
- Student Athletes can wear patches on their uniforms for commemorative or memorial purposes.
- Sidelines for teams will expand from the 25 yard line to the 15 yard line.
- Coin tosses will be limited to one captain from each team and two officials.
- In men’s and women’s soccer, spitting at an opponent will result in an ejection and two game suspension instead of a one game suspension.
- In women’s volleyball, teams will not switch benches after sets.
ALL the Scholar Athletes.
Congrats to our 1️⃣0️⃣2️⃣3️⃣ student-athletes on the Scholar-Athlete team! pic.twitter.com/icww7cUlaW— Mountain West (@MountainWest) July 28, 2020
On the Horizon:
- Later today: MWCConnection Roundtable: What is the biggest question for each team as they enter fall camp?
- Later today: The MWC Preseason Top 10 Players List