As part of non-conference scheduling, many FBS teams will schedule a FCS team for a home game. When FBS teams schedule these games, they are looking to get some more revenue through tickets sales for the home game and to pick up a win. For FBS teams, a win in non-conference against the FCS can sometimes be the difference in bowl eligibility. However, sometimes the FCS team goes on the road and pulls off the upset.
In 2019, the MWC took care of business against their FCS schedule:
- Air Force - Beat Colgate, 48-7
- Boise State - Beat Portland State, 45-10
- Colorado State - Beat Western Illinois, 38-13
- New Mexico - Beat Sam Houston State, 39-31
- Utah State - Beat Stony Brook, 62-7
- Wyoming - Beat Idaho, 21-16
- Fresno State - Beat Sacramento State, 34-20
- Hawaii - Beat Central Arkansas, 35-16
- Nevada - Beat Weber State, 19-13
- San Diego State - Beat Weber State, 6-0
- San Jose State - Beat Northern Colorado, 35-18
- UNLV - Beat Southern Utah, 56-23
That said, that is not always the case. In 2018, San Jose State lost to UC Davis, 44-38. Also in 2018, Colorado State lost to Illinois State, 35-19. In 2017, Nevada lost to Idaho State, 30-28. Also in 2017, UNLV lost to Howard, 43-40. So, 2019 was more the exception than the rule in recent years that the MWC is able to run the table against the FCS.
Let’s take a look at the 2020 schedule against the FCS:
- Air Force - Duquesne on 9/5
- Boise State - None Scheduled
- Colorado State - Northern Colorado on 9/19
- New Mexico - Idaho State on 8/29
- Utah State - Southern Utah on 9/12
- Wyoming - Weber State on 9/5
- Fresno State - Idaho State on 9/5
- Hawaii - Fordham on 9/12
- Nevada - UC Davis on 8/29
- San Diego State - Sacramento State on 9/5
- San Jose State - UC Davis on 9/12
- UNLV - None Scheduled
That would be 10 games against the FCS. Wyoming will have one of the toughest going against a very good Weber State team. Also, Sacramento State is a dangerous team that San Diego State will need to be ready to play. Otherwise, it appears to be a pretty favorable schedule.
What do you think will happen this fall versus the FCS? Can the MWC make it 2 years in a row without losing to a FCS opponent?
Will a FCS team upset a MWC team this fall?
This poll is closed
Also, please leave your thoughts in the comments below about what you think will happen between the MWC and the FCS.