Happy Monday! Or whatever day this is anymore. Despite no sports at all, there is still a good amount of sports-related news, especially in the Mountain West and college athletic world thanks to this things called the NFL Draft. Check out today’s links.
Curtis Weaver was once thought to be a first-round draft pick. What resulted couldn’t have been further from that, as he was taken in the 5th round after a kicker and DIII player. Now that he’s on a team, he knows it’s time to get to work.
DB Zane Lewis is one of the first academy players to benefit from the country’s law to defer service time. He should be benefitting financially from it as well, as unconfirmed reports are he is getting a $20,000 signing bonus.
After seeing two former players get drafted this past weekend, quite a few others have a shot at an NFL future. Four additional players were signed as undrafted free agents on Sunday, bringing the team total to 6. That’s one of the bigger representations from a MWC team this year.
Wilson excited to be a Bengal.
Aztec’s Mitchell will also declare for the NBA draft.
On the horizon:
- Later today: A new MWC Recruiting Roundup, filled with the latest news and offers.
- Later today: The Nevada football position preview continues with offensive lineman.
- Later this week: How will 2020 draftees fair in their first year?
- Coming Tuesday: Another edition of The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. This one previews MWC Secondaries.
- Coming Wednesday: Peak Perspective: MWC NFL Draft Winners and Losers.