Welcome to another edition of Mountaintop View. We have a big week ahead as we move closer to the MW tournament in hoops, we also have the start of the MW baseball season.
San Diego State remains number 4 in the AP poll while also remaining at number 1 in the NET rankings. Utah State is finally getting some love again from voters as they garnered 8 votes. The Aggies continue to make their push towards receiving an at large bid. Another important team entering the top 25 is BYU, with them now ranked SDSU has 3 wins over currently ranked teams (Iowa & Creighton).
ICYMI the Mountain West baseball season has officially begun. Boise State has returned to the diamond for their first season of baseball since 1980. San Diego State is the preseason pick to win the conference with Fresno State and Nevada picked to finish 2nd and 3rd.
Mbacke Diong, who has been posting career best numbers, is trying to find his fit in UNLV’s lineup. The Rebels have gone with the small ball attack in recent games, going to 4 guard lineups often and it has made it harder for the forward to find his fit, though coach Otzelberger emphasizes that the team still needs his production.
Players of the week
Mountain West Men's Basketball Player of the Week— Mountain West (@MountainWest) February 17, 2020
▫️ Averaged 28 PPG, 4.5 AST, 4 REB & 1 STL
▫️ Scored a game-high 32 points against CSU, while shooting 66.7% from the floor
▫️ Surpassed 2️⃣0️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ points in his career#AggiesAllTheWay pic.twitter.com/o6r0myu1T2
On the horizon:
- Later Today: 2020 Recruiting Breakdown: San Jose State
- Later Today: Wolf Pack Preview: Nevada Basketball seeks second straight road win versus New Mexico
- Later Today: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: Recruiting Review (Mountain Division)
- Later Today: Basketball Power Rankings: Aztecs continue to amaze
- Coming Wednesday: 2020 Recruiting Breakdown: Air Force
- Coming Wednesday: Peak Perspective: One Bid Wonder?