Another week, another recruiting roundup.
Recruiting has been picking up steam the past two weeks and figures to only heat up between now and December 16th (the first signing day).
You may have noticed, like I did, a number of recruits tweeting out preferred walk-on (PWO) offers from Mountain West schools. This stuck out to me, as most PWO offers are handed out around the February signing day. Although not confirmed, one possible theory is teams are having recruits start at walk-ons for the next season or two in order to be under the scholarship limit with players returning. Especially for players who need their early years to develop and add weight before getting on the field. This may be one creative way to still recruit players in the 2021 class and retain members of the team who would normally be moving on. Could be completely wrong, but interesting nonetheless.
This past week saw six new verbals in the Mountain West, but also four recruits who reopened their recruitment. Air Force and SDSU each had two, with Boise State and New Mexico picking up one each. The Aztecs commits continue their hot streak and that helps them take the cover photo for the second week in a row.
Class of 2021 Cover Photo Total:
- Air Force: 8
- New Mexico: 5
- San Diego State: 5
- Boise State: 4
- Colorado State: 4
- Nevada: 3
- UNLV: 3
- Wyoming: 3
- Fresno State: 2
- SJSU: 2
- Hawaii: 1
The dead period is still alive. But based on what the NCAA is allowing, it seems more like a contact period to some degree, as coaches can have unlimited calls and video meetings during this time.
Update: The Dead Period has been extended through March 2021.
Air Force Commitment Tracker:
Looks like it’s time to bring this back. Since the Air Force Academy regularly has around 100 commits in each class, it’s kind of fun to track them over the course of the year.
Number of Falcon verbal commits: 56
- LB Andrew Kulick was offered by Colorado State
- WR Jay Barry was offered by Colorado State
- 2022 QB Nate Johnson was offered by Fresno State
- 2022 QB Emmett Brown was offered by New Mexico
- 2022 WR/DB Tanner Salisbury was offered by SJSU
- Transfer LB Byron Hobbs-Vaughans was offered by Utah State
- WR Tony Evans Jr was offered by Wyoming
- DB CJ Boyd committed to Air Force
- TE Liam Hoffmeyer committed to Air Force
- DB Zion Washington committed to Boise State
- WR Trace Bruckler committed to New Mexico
- WR CJ Baskerville committed to SDSU
- OL Zavier Leonard committed to SDSU
- JUCO DE Chase Davis decommitted from Nevada
- DE Wilburn Smallwood decommitted from Nevada
- OL Zavier Leonard decommitted from New Mexico
- TE Jaden Allen decommitted from Utah State
- RB Kendric Rhymes decommitted from Utah State
Follow @Mike_SBN on Twitter for all the latest recruiting news and updates.