Welcome to Monday. It was a packed week on the MWC news front. Take a look below for what happened the past few days as well as what’s coming your way this week.
San Jose State is 3-0 for the first time since 1982. They did it with major contributions from their backup QB. They did it with plenty of exciting offensive plays. They did it against San Diego State, who came in as heavy favorites. They did it.
This outcome seemed inevitable when Andersen was brought back for a second round at Utah State. Chris Vannini outlines the pros and cons of the job and how hiring may be different during covid. They name a few candidates, including local coaches Jay Hill, Jeff Choate, Ed Lamb, and Jeff Grimes.
Continuing the theme of wins no one saw coming, Colorado State topped Wyoming in the Border War. The Ram offense made quick work of the Cowboy defense. They hadn’t won this matchup in the past four seasons. Which means that no current player had ever beat Wyoming before. Quite historic and maybe enough to give new coach Addazio a feather in his hat for year one.
Shakir is doing work.
Highest-graded WRs heading into Wk 10— PFF College (@PFF_College) November 7, 2020
1. DeVonta Smith, Alabama - 92.5
2. Jaquarii Roberson, Wake Forest - 91.1
3. Khalil Shakir, Boise St - 90.1
4. Jaelon Darden, N Texas - 89.6
5. Elijah Moore, Ole Miss - 89.4 pic.twitter.com/4jUq6TcGdW
Falcons/Cowboys cancelled well ahead of next weekend.
Due to an upward trend of COVID-19 cases at the Air Force Academy and within the football program, Air Force is unable to participate in the scheduled football game on Sat., Nov. 14, at Wyoming. Therefore, the Mountain West is canceling the game and declaring it a no contest. pic.twitter.com/4LK7dYyJ3T— Mountain West (@MountainWest) November 8, 2020
On the horizon:
- From yesterday: Don’t miss the game recaps from Utah State, SJSU, Hawaii, New Mexico
- Later today: MWCConnection POTW: Week 3
- Later today: A new MWC Recruiting Roundup, filled with the latest news and offers, plus a glance at San Jose State recruiting.
- Later today: Power Rankings: Week 3
- Coming Tuesday: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Week 3
- Coming Wednesday: Building a program: Scheduling Balance
- Coming Wednesday: Bowl Predictions: Week 3