Monday has snuck up on us once again. But it brings a plethora of news from the past three days. Catch up here and take a look at what we have rolling out on the site this week.
Andersen makes some interesting comments.
In the grand scheme of things, this is just a drop in the ocean. By the time games roll around, it’s very likely we will all forget about this. However, it’s not smart to go on record saying Utah State football players can’t opt out of the season. First of all, opting out is an option the NCAA has mandated, so they can. Second of all, let’s not forget Gary Andersen himself decided to “opt out” of Wisconsin and Oregon State during his tenures there. But the only factor with any sticking power is likely impacting this recruiting class a bit, or at least give recruiting rivals some material for their pitches.
Lobo contracts allow for a furlough.
The New Mexico athletic department isn’t announcing furloughs and state they aren’t forthcoming. However, the powers that be have implemented very specific furlough language into contracts. Even if it’s not necessary at this time, clearly it has been discussed should things follow the path they are on. So the writing is on the wall, or in the contract anyway.
Wyoming is the latest school to pause football activities.
BREAKING: Wyoming football has 11 positive COVID-19 cases among freshmen. 31 freshmen are in quarantine, per the school.— Michael Katz (@MichaelLKatz) October 2, 2020
Hawaii Bowl cancelled.
ESPN Events says the Bahamas Bowl and the Hawaii Bowl, which were both set to be played in December, have been cancelled due to the current health pandemic and travel restrictions.— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) October 2, 2020
BYU continuing their MWC schedule with SDSU game.
San Diego State will play at BYU on Dec. 12— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) October 2, 2020
On the horizon:
- Later today: A new MWC Recruiting Roundup, filled with the latest news and offers, plus a glance at Fresno State recruiting.
- Later today: Utah State RB Position Preview
- Later today: The MWCConnection All-MWC Team (repost)
- Coming Tuesday: Another edition of The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Air Force vs Navy.
- Coming Tuesday: The MWCConnection Preseason Awards (repost)
- Coming Wednesday: Peak Perspective: The loss of losing Olympic fall sports.
- Coming Wednesday: Preseason Best Position Units (repost)