It’s Monday and we are back after a weekend full of football games!
It was a back and forth battle, leading to a scoreless first half. The Spartans scored first in the second and they never relinquished the lead. The offense made big plays when they needed to, especially in the passing game. However, it was the defense who surprised, containing the triple option and limiting their rushing attack to just 206 yards on the ground, highlighted by a huge fourth down stop at the goal line late in the first half. It was a big win for San Jose State.
San Diego State seemed poised to win from the get go. They played suffocating defense and scored time and time again behind a (you’ll never believe this) powerful stable of running backs. Yes, the Aztecs marched out tailback after tailback, pounding the ball through the Rebel defense.
Months and months of no games followed by days and days of emotion following the death of Jay Norvell’s father. It was a back and forth battle, even going into overtime. Carson Strong, who was magnificent, said afterwards that they were going to do whatever it took to win that game. That’s exactly what they ended up doing, behind Strong’s great performance.
LA Bowl in doubt in inaugural season?
Fenway Bowl will not be played this year, sources told @Stadium. Was to debut this season b/w ACC & AAC. Also Myrtle Beach & Los Angeles in doubt, reducing number of bowls to 34. “Holiday’s decision not to play is 1st domino to fall, more will follow not playing,” source said— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) October 23, 2020
Hammond is on the move months after being grounded.
It only took a week but the MWC is in the polls.
On the horizon:
- From yesterday: Don’t miss the game recaps from Hawaii, Nevada, Utah State, SJSU, Air Force, Boise State
- Later today: MWCConnection POTW: Week 1
- Later today: A new MWC Recruiting Roundup, filled with the latest news and offers, plus a glance at New Mexico recruiting.
- Later today: Power Rankings: Week 1
- Coming Tuesday: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Week 1
- Coming Wednesday: Peak Perspective: Instant impressions and small sample sizes.
- Coming Wednesday: Bowl Predictions: Week 1