This is the moment everyone has been waiting for. The Mountain West has officially released the 2020 schedule. So who is playing who?
A couple things to note...
- Boise State will not play New Mexico and will instead play BYU and will also open the season at home against Utah State instead of at Air Force. The Broncos will also be playing at UNLV.
- Air Force has an open date and will play Army on November 7th (tentative)
- San Diego State currently only has 7 conference games and a TBD opponent
- There will be no divisions this year. The conference championship will include the top two teams in the conference
- There will be no room for bye weeks that are not already scheduled
- The playoff committee will not rank teams until November 24th, a month after the Mountain West starts, so the Mountain West still has time to catch up to the American Conference in the race for the New Years Six
- There are several games that will be moved to Thursday or Friday and those moves will be determined as the season progresses
- Hawaii currently has eight conference opponents however they have shut down practices due to a COVID outbreak in the program
Why does Air Force have a bye?
Air Force currently has a bye week because they play Navy and Army, which means they play two games out of conference. Instead of playing 10 games, Air Force will currently play nine and that open date will likely remain open to leave room for a game that may inevitably need to be rescheduled.