Another weekend means more Mountain West games and wins. With San Jose State knocking off Arkansas, the MWC notched another P5 win. Check out the love from around twitter, some articles looking at the weekend, and what’s on the way this week!
MWC has wins over the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 (4) and SEC (2).— Bryan Fischer (@BryanDFischer) September 22, 2019
Records vs. Power 5 non-conference opponents:@MountainWest 8-9@Big12Conference 6-4@SEC 6-5@pac12 5-3@American_Conf 5-12@bigten 4-5@SunBelt 3-7@theACC 3-7*@BYUfootball 2-2@NDFootball 1-1@MACSports 1-18@ConferenceUSA 0-16— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) September 22, 2019
*Doesn't include UNC-Wake contest
If you’re a fan of the MWC, this is easily the biggest game of the weekend! Sure, the Razorbacks are one of the worst teams in the SEC, but the Spartans have been one of the teams at the bottom of the MWC. Almost 1800 miles of travel, SJSU didn’t look like the tired ones. Josh Love threw for over 400 yards and TDs. The defense had 5 INTs! Oh yeah, the Spartans also made $1.5 million from the payout.
Stop me if you’ve heard this before: Boise State used a strong second half to find a way to win after losing early in the game. Truth be told, this one was more back and forth than a true “come from behind”, but the Broncos won again. The Falcons executed their game plan very well, but the BSU defense was stout and the offense was just good enough. AFA still looks like a team going bowling.
Utah State had a chance to put this one away early at one time leading 23-3, but instead San Diego State battled back to make it a close one before succumbing to their first loss of the season. The Aggies only managed 3 points in the second half but the defense made it tough for the Aztecs and looked pretty strong. Woodward had 13 tackles, Williams had a career-high 12 tackles, and Galeai had 3 tackles for loss.
Defense wasn’t optional, it was non-existent in this 55-52 victory over rival New Mexico State in the annual game. QB Tevaka Tuioti started for the first time this year and notched career-high 355 yards to go along with 3 TDs. It’s been a rough road for Tuioti, as he had a grandparent pass away in fall camp and another one pass away last week.
Broncos continue to climb in the rankings.
On the horizon:
- Game recaps: Make sure you didn’t miss recaps on San Jose State, Boise State, Wyoming, Hawaii, and Fresno State from the weekend, plus more coming out later today.
- Later today: A new MWC Recruiting Roundup, featuring quotes from some of the latest commits and visitors around the conference.
- Later today: Week 4 Power Rankings.
- Coming Tuesday: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly Week 4.
- Coming Tuesday: Film Study: A closer look at Utah State/San Diego State
- Coming Tuesday: Week 4 Game of the Week Recap.
- Coming Wednesday: Week 4 Bowl Projections.
- Coming Wednesday: Peak Perspective: How to Complete in the Mountain West.