Game Day again. As you are getting ready to watch some games or when you have some time during breaks in the action, review this week in the Mountain West right here.
Injuries overtaking Lobos QBs
Their top two quarterbacks are on the shelf. Starter Tevaka Tuioti got hurt in the first half against Wisconsin last week. As early as Saturday afternoon, they have been preparing to be without him this week. 3rd stringers and JUCO transfer Sheriron Jones has been getting starters reps all week. He had mixed results when he entered the game last week; he was part of two fumbles, but also made some nice passes and kept some drives alive.
The big matchup of the week.
Boise State versus Oklahoma State is a game that is happening. It pits two dynamic offenses against one another. The Broncos have a good defense as well. There is some unknown on both sides as both teams are 2-0 but the competition has been a bit lacking. This game will show a lot about both teams.
The big matchup of the week part 2
Fresno State didn’t have the best showing last week against a beatable Minnesota team. However, they have another shot this week. UCLA is vulnerable in the first year of the Chip Kelly era. The Bulldogs can show that they still are one of the top teams in the MWC with a rebound win. They definitely have it in them, but just need to go ahead and do it.
- The Injury Bug: The bug was busy this weekend, taking down players from New Mexico, Fresno State and 2 from SDSU. The Aztecs and Bulldogs took big hits to their QB and LT respectively. Unfortunately, and suddenly, there are some chinks in their armor. It will be interesting to see how they each play this week.
- Obligatory Hawaii reference. They won their third game and the best compliment that can be given to them is it already seemed a bit “ho-hum”.
- Boise State: They had what was possibly one of the most dominant and lopsided wins in recent memory. Sure it was against UConn, who looks more like a punching bag after getting blown out by UCF the week before. But over 800 yards of offense is no joke, no matter who it is against.
- Colorado State: They showed signs of life finally! They hung around just long enough and they made their move late in the game. Great to see them not only win, but get a huge win at home.
- Utah State: They are about two minutes and a few breaks away from being 3-0 with a marquee win. Still, 2-1 with a “good loss” isn’t too shaby.
- Wyoming: Back to back losses after their dominating opener is sure to sting. Yes they were both against power 5 teams, but the Cowboys weren’t able to muster much against either. They look to bounce back.
- Obligatory San Jose State reference. There was blood in the water and Washington State feasted on it. Oregon is coming for them this week too.
- Showings against Power 5 teams: Outside of Colorado State, the MWC didn’t do much in their matchups versus big schools. They have some more opportunities this week, but didn’t take advantage of those games.
Aaron Taylor was on the call for the great upset of Colorado State over Arkansas. Here are some of his finest moments from last week:
He loves the name puns: “Ty Storey was the story a week ago”
Speaking of names, he let out a chuckle when reading the Razerback name “Bumper Pool”
And where else can you get this kind of analysis?
Carter: “Outside contain an issue last week for the Rams”... Aaron: “Yeah buddy”