The Broncos kicked off camp on Friday and followed it up with another practice on Saturday. The Broncos approach the earlier practices different than some teams as they separate the veterans and the freshman into different practices. Here are some takeaways from the first few practices:
- The Broncos are entering camp fairly healthy, the only injuries of note are to true freshman linebacker Phillip Mills. Mills had surgery on his heel and the coaches are hopeful that he will be able to return later in the season.
- True freshman Andrew Van Buren has been wearing a cast in practice. According to coaches the cast is precautionary and he should be good to go.
Worth noting that #BoiseState true freshman running back Andrew Van Buren is wearing a cast on his right wrist. Coach Harsin said it was more a "precautionary" move, and added that AVB isn't limited because of it. pic.twitter.com/G4m7Gy8aEX— Jay Tust (@KTVBSportsGuy) August 4, 2018
- Van Buren and Stefan Cobbs are the only true freshman to be practicing with the veterans. While we probably shouldn’t look into this too much, it appears that both of these guys have an excellent chance to contribute early. Cobbs has looked the part in the early days of camp, beating some veteran DB’s in one-on-one situations.
- Octavius Evans looks like a number one receiver. He has the size and speed to put up dynamic numbers for the Broncos.
- Not a lot to say about the defense, it is hard to really gauge the defense from what we have seen and heard from camp so far.
- The true freshman don’t look like true freshman. These guys look like college football players. In many cases, athletes need at least one year on work in the weight room before they are ready to compete with the big boys. That does not appear to be the case with the 2018 recruiting class. Andrew Van Buren is already the biggest running back on the roster. He looks like he could be a great option on third and short.
Stay tuned, I will have another update in a few days. Has anything stuck out for you in the early days of camp?