clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

MWC Recruiting Roundup 7-16-18

Even in mid-July, there are 6 new MWC commits.

NCAA Football: Brigham Young at Hawaii Marco Garcia-USA TODAY Sports

Although we are still in a recruiting dead period, the commits keep rolling in. There were 6 new verbal pledges over the past week or so (give or take a few days), which equaled the number of offers handed out during the same time frame. Hawaii and San Jose State each pulled in 2 commits, adding nicely to their classes. Either of them could’ve taken the banner this week, but we will give the edge to Hawaii for nabbing their quarterback, which is usually the most important spot in a recruiting class.

Checking in With....

WR Melquan Stovall

“All schools are standing out to me right now, but I’m thinking about taking a few unofficial visits this July to Nevada, Fresno State, & Utah State. I’m also hearing from ones that have not offered, like Ole Miss, Michigan, Eastern Washington, Illinois, Yale, Washington state, Oregon, Montana, Army, & Navy. This year I’ll be playing all over: slot, wideout, RB, CB, Nickel, & Safety.”

TE Koby Gross

“Everything is going good right now. I’m hearing from Fresno State, Cal, Washington State, and San Jose State right often. I was at Fresno State camp in June and they said they will be keeping in touch with me. It sounds like there’s a good chance they will pull the trigger and offer me after seeing my 3-game film during the season. Things sound good for Cal and SJSU as well.”

Predictions

  • Mike thinks: There is a 60% chance OL Nathan Peterson commits to Air Force, and a 40% he commits to Harvard. He tells us he will likely be making a decision before the season starts.

Commitment Spotlight

ATH Matty Horne (UNLV)

“There’s many reasons I can say as the reason I committed, but the main reason was because of the love and trust they have put into me. The bond that I built with the coaches are amazing and they made everything so simple and better for my family and I. I see a lot of potential in Vegas with the new stadium and facilities being built! It’s just looks like a gold mind in my eyes! Coach Skip has made my recruiting process the best, he checks on me constantly and talks to me not just about football but things going on in the world. I am being brought in as a safety. I believe that I will fit really nice into their scheme. I feel like I excel at running downhill and laying a big hit on a runner or receiver. It’s going to take a few bumps in the road when I first get there but I am sure that I will get the hang of it and be a impactful personal player.”

OL Justin Scrempos (SJSU)

“The biggest factors for me were being close to home, great coaching staff, having coaches that really care and the academic side of SJSU, being able to talk to people from all these big companies that we have in the Bay Area. The coaches have just always been open with me, and they would always check up on me and ask how the family was doing and always came off as caring but they never really sugarcoated anything. They always told me what I needed to do to be a better player and a better person. It’s been good vibes all around. They said I’ll probably play right tackle, and they said they like how athletic I am for how big I am.”

OL Jelani Newman (SJSU)

“Their engineering program was the biggest factor. The coaching staff and coach Bernardi made me feel like I was at home. Then the city and campus were beautiful and I was close to family. Coach Bernardi started building a relationship with me in January and always stayed in contact with me and made me feel like a priority. They all welcomed me to San Jose State and they all pushed me to do great at their camp. After they offered, their entire staff sent me personal letters and telling me great job at the camp and how much they wanted me to be a Spartan. The plan is to play along the interior, either at guard or center. My strength are my pass protection, running-blocking, taking on double teams, and pulling/ trap blocking.”

Recruiting Tidbits

Offers:

  • S Avi McGary was offered by Air Force
  • LB Thomas Kiessling was offered by Air Force
  • DB Chris Rankins was offered by Air Force
  • DB/WR Anthony Coleman was offered by Air Force
  • WR Melquan Stovall was offered by Nevada
  • OL Logan Sagapolu was offered by Utah State

Commits:

  • ATH Keegan Freid committed to Air Force
  • QB Zach Daniel committed to Hawaii
  • LB Darius Muasau committed to Hawaii
  • ATH Matty Horne committed to UNLV
  • OL Justin Scrempos committed to SJSU
  • OL Jelani Newman committed to SJSU

For all the latest recruiting news in the MWC, follow @Mike_SBN on Twitter.