It’s Monday and there’s a lot to talk about from the weekend. First of all, congrats to the Fresno State Bulldogs for winning the MWC Championship. It was a tremendous, hard-fought game, as most of us figure it would be. We have a few articles about the game in today’s slate of links, along with the Utah State coaching search.
“Believe it” is the headline in the Fresno Bee. However, it isn’t hard to believe. This Fresno State team has been good all season. Their defense pretty much shut down the Boise State offense, especially in the first half. Their kicker made two big field goals in the snowy weather and to cap it off, the offense busted out an option play on the game-winning touchdown in overtime.
BJ Rains headline was dead on, so I borrowed it to reference his article. This doesn’t mean Fresno State didn’t deserve to win, because they did. But the Broncos offense was too inconsistent and their special teams was one disaster after another. A missed FG and a missed extra point, that likely would’ve won the game in regulation.
San Jose State alumns John Hopkirk and Anne Murphy decided to make the donation to their alma mater. The article states they wanted to invest in the school and the program that Coach Brennan is building. The money will go to a new football operations center, and rebuild the east side of the stadium. It will also help with projects for other sports, including soccer, tennis, golf, and softball.
Chris Vannini provides an initial list of names. Jay Hill, Gary Anderson, Todd Orlando is among the commonly listed names. Some newer ones include BYU special team’s coordinator Ed Lamb, LSU DC Dave Aranda, and a few others. Hill would figure to be the top choice for many, but no one is sure of what is being thought in Logan behind closed doors.
MWC Teams in the College Football Playoff Rankings.
On the horizon:
- From yesterday: Keep up with our basketball coverage. Recaps on Colorado State and Nevada.
- From yesterday: Lots of football news going on. We have recaps from the MWC Championship (Boise State and Fresno State), MWC bowl destinations, and a season recap on Colorado State.
- Later today: We have a jammed packed MWC Recruiting Roundup for you. Filled with the in-home visits from the week and the official visits from the weekend.
- Later today: Taking the Temperature: Weekly MBB power rankings.
- Coming Tuesday: A new feature debuts: 10 Things I Like/Don’t Like about MWC basketball, from Brendan.
- Coming Tuesday: MWC Championship edition of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.