Boise State has received its first commit of 2016 with shooting guard Alex Hobbs. The news first broke via Dave Southorn of the Idaho Statesman.
Hobbs, a 6-4 185-pound shooting guard from La Porte, Texas is a talented scorer and rebounder and is expected to be a perfect fit for Coach Rice and his up-tempo style.
Hobbs averaged 27.0 points and 8.5 rebounds per game last season. It is assumed that he will be playing off the ball but also has the ability to run the point guard position.
Coach Rice has extended his success with Texas recruits. Hobbs will join freshman Zach Haney (Humble, TX) and sophomore David Wacker (Converse, TX) as Texans on the Broncos roster.
Here's a look at Boise State's scholarship breakdown for the next five seasons:
|G Alex Hobbs 0.0/0.0/0.0||Hobbs||Hobbs||Hobbs||Hobbs|
|F Robin Jorch 0.0/0.0/0.0||Jorch||Jorch||Jorch||Jorch|
|F Zach Haney 0.0/0.0/0.0||Haney||Haney||Haney||Haney|
|G Paris Austin 0.0/0.0/0.0||Austin||Austin||Austin||Austin|
|G Malek Harwell 0.0/0.0/0.0||Harwell||Harwell||Harwell||Harwell|
|G Chandler Hutchison 3.1/2.0/0.8||Hutchison||Hutchison||Hutchison|
|F/C David Wacker 2.2/1.4/0.2||Wacker||Wacker||Wacker|
|F James Webb III 11.2/8.0/0.6||Webb III||Webb III|
|F Nick Duncan 7.1/3.0/0.6||Duncan||Duncan|
|G Anthony Drmic 15.3/4.7/2.0||Drmic|
|G Mikey Thompson 8.1/2.1/1.9||Thompson|
|G Montigo Alford 4.0/0.9/1.3||Alford|
|G Lonnie Jackson 7.8/2.4/1.7||Jackson|
|G James Reid 7.9/2.4/1.4||Reid|
Class of 2016 Considerations
- G David Jenkins (Tacoma, WA) ** Also considering: California, Gonzaga, Pepperdine, Washington St
- G Eyassu Worku (Los Alamitos, CA) ** Also considering: Utah St, UC Santa Barbara, Rice, American, Cal Poly, UC Irvine, Montana
- F Alphonso Anderson (Tacoma, WA) *** Also considering: Pepperdine
- F Harry Froling (Townsville, Australia) ** Also considering: Creighton, Louisville, Saint Mary's, UNLV, Wake Forest, Washington St
- F Yoeli Childs (South Jordan, UT) *** Also considering: Arizona St, Auburn, BYU, Texas Tech
Summary: Alphonso Anderson (6-5) is the prized possession of this 2016 class. With only one other offer (Pepperdine), Boise State has a great chance of finding Anthony Drmic's potential successor. Anderson has the ability to drive to the basket and finish, as well as the range to hit from deep. Yoeli Childs, although an undersized power forward at 6-7, has a collection of post moves that should continue to develop. Jenkins, a 6-0 point guard, is capable of filling it up from long range and running a fast-break offense. The biggest obstacle in landing Jenkins is the tall task of out-recruiting legendary Gonzaga coach Mark Few, as well as Cuonzo Martin, who picked up two five star recruits this spring with California.
Class of 2017 Considerations
- G Trevon Airy-Turner (Issaquah, WA) ** Also considering: Montana, Seattle U, Utah St, Washington
- F Daniel Mading (Perth, Australia) ** Also considering: Arizona St, Colorado St, Georgia, James Madison, Kansas St, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, St John's, Seton Hall, South Carolina, Texas Tech, USC, Virginia Tech, Washington St
- F Melo Eggleston (Baltimore, MD) ** Also considering: Baylor, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Loyola (MD), LSU,
Miami FL, Nebraska, Oregon St, Texas Tech, USC, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington St
- C Kolby Lee (Meridian, ID) ** Also considering: Kent St, Toledo, Utah St
Summary: It's slightly more difficult to predict Boise State's personnel strengths and weakness two years from now. However, we do know that F/C David Wacker and G Chandler Hutchison will be seniors on what should be another guard-led roster. Kolby Lee would be a solid pickup for the Broncos. Of the four potential recruits, Lee likely has the greatest chance of landing in Boise. The 6-9 post is a force underneath, and has the vertical leaping ability to hammer down dunk after dunk. This is yet another athletic, up-tempo player who fits the Leon Rice mold.
Class of 2018 Considerations
- G Naseem Gaskin (Oakland, CA) ** Also considering: Nevada
Recruiting information courtesy of 247 Sports and Verbal Commits.