clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Last Second Field Goal, Gives Rams A Homecoming Win Over Aggies

Jared Roberts last second field goal boosts the Rams to a 16-13 homecoming win over Utah State.

Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

If you would have told me that last nights game would be a defensive battle where neither offense could get in to a rhythm. Then I probably would've laughed because, these are two very good offenses. Utah State has a very stout defense but the Rams defense was a huge question mark this season. Last night that Ram defense grew up, and because the real reason why Colorado State came away with the win.

On a beautiful evening the game started with a bang. Garrett Grayson hit Rashad Higgins on a 10-20 yard pass that turned into a 69 yard reception that put the Rams inside the five. Dee Hart punched a one yard run to put the Rams up front. That would be the only touchdown of the night for the Rams because the Aggies defense locked in and shut down that explosive offense. Also two drives later the Aggies had an explosive play of their own, scoring a 59 yard touchdown run from Joe Hill. Both teams traded off field goals to head into halftime tied a 10.

The third quarter was a battle of the defenses, neither team scored. Both teams had good drives but stalled due to defensive stands. Grayson was sacked 8 times in the entire game due to that they couldn't get into a rhythm. Darell Garretson was lost to a wrist injury late in the third, and Craig Harrison replaced him.

The Aggies kicked an early field goal in the fourth to regain the lead. The Aggie defense stepped up and stopped a promising drive causing the Rams to kick a field goal to tie the game at 13 with 1:50 remaining. Both teams had multiple timeouts and Utah State had a drive going but was stopped on a 3rd down from the 41 yard line. After a substitution infraction on the Aggies the Rams got the ball at their own 12 yard line with 58 seconds remaining.

It seemed like the Rams were playing for overtime with a 3 yard run on the first play and were letting the clock run. The fans were unhappy even the students were booing. Then Dee Hart took off on a 17 yard line to the Rams 32 yard line and everything changed. A timeout was used, the fans got back in it and the next play caused the stadium to go wild. Grayson found Higgins on a 46 yard pass into triple coverage to the Aggie 22 yard line. Grayson then downed the ball in the middle of the field and ran the clock out to four seconds remaining. The final kick took an forever because Matt Wells used their final timeouts to ice the kicker. Then the Rams were called for a false start, and the Aggie sideline began to celebrate. Thinking that the runoff will happen and we were going to overtime. However since the clock was already stopped the runoff didn't occur and Coach Wells wasn't happy. Jared Roberts then made the final kick right down the middle and chaos ensued with students rushing the field. Winning the game 16-13 and making the Rams bowl eligible for the second consecutive season.

Rams improve to 6-1 and will take on Wyoming in the Border War next weekend at 5 p.m. Aggies drop to 4-3 and will return home to take on UNLV at 2 p.m.