The Mountain West basketball season is taking a step back from last season's performance, but that is expected since the league earned a record-high five NCAA Tournament berths. Conference play began on New Year's Day so there is still plenty of time for teams to make their move, but the league will not come close to getting five teams to the NCAA Tournament, and four could be a stretch.
Websites are coming out with its New Year's Day updated NCAA Tournament projects, and ESPN's Joe Lunardi is one of the more generous websites out there as he has three Mountain West team in his bracket.
Boise State is one of the last four teams in -- just like last year -- and are an 11 seed and would face off against Tennessee on the opening weekend. New Mexico and San Diego State are the other teams in the field; the Lobos are an eight seed going up against St. Mary's and the Aztecs are a six seed and scheduled to go against Toledo.
Seeing three teams is giving the league the benefit of the doubt due to the Mountain West's recent success of getting teams to the NCAA Tournament over the last few years.
One team that could appear on this list is UNLV who after a slow start to the season have won eight of their last nine and the only loss is against No. 1 Arizona; so the Rebels could play their way to a bid.
- Bryce Dejean-Jones leads Runnin' Rebels past Fresno State 75-62
- San Diego State vs. Colorado State final score: Aztecs 71-61
- Utah State falls on the road to Air Force: 72-73 Final Score
- Colorado State's Jim McElwain 'not surprised' by Kapri Bibbs decision to declare for draft
- Heart of Dallas Bowl final score: North Texas dominates UNLV, win 36-14