The Lobos look to bounce back after only their 2nd loss of the MWC season - USA Today
New Mexico holds only a one game lead over the rest of the MWC.
Week 14 saw, yet another week of parity among the top 25 teams in college basketball. No. 1 Indiana, No. 2 Florida, No. 3 Michigan, No. 5 Kansas, No. 10 Ohio State and No. 11 Louisville all lost in week 14. New Mexico lost its 2nd MWC game as their road woes continue. Colorado State is inching closer and closer to a MWC title, and can achieve that goal if they can get through the next 2 weeks.
1. New Mexico: The Lobos may have lost once this week, but I believe UNM should retain their No.1 spot in the MWC until their next loss, that is, if there is a next one. Week 15 presents an easy week for the Lobos, playing at upset minded and then at home vs. Boise State. The Lobos should be more concerned about next week, as a trip to CSU and home battle against SDSU will likely decide the MWC champion.
2. Colorado State: The Rams loos to get revenge against the Aztecs when SDSU comes into a bloodthirsty Moby Arena Wednesday. F-C Colton Iverson (13.8 PPG-9.7) has cemented his place on the all MWC first team, contributing to the nations' 2nd best rebounding average. That rebounding advantage will certainly help the Rams in the NCAA Tournament.
3. San Diego State: SDSU is slowly dipping out of the MWC title race, and trips to CSU and UNLV in week 15 will not make their plight any easier. Tandem Guards Jamaal Franklin (17.5 PPG-9.5 RGP) and Chase Tapely (13.6 PPG-3.2 RPG) have done it all for the Aztecs and are keeping the Aztecs' hope for a 7 or above seed alive.
4. UNLV: Welcome to the MWC. The only place where a team, such as UNLV, can lose to it's conference's worst team (Fresno State) and then beat it's conference best team (New Mexico) in the same week. That bad loss and commendable win keeps UNLV at No.4, instead of dropping. F Anthony Bennett (18.3 PPG-8.6 RPG) has the talent to lead UNLV deep into March, but will need more from his supporting cast.
5. Boise State: The Broncos have been fluctuating in and out of bracketology's and have been keeping their post-season dreams alive, whether it be NIT or NCAA. BSU lost a heartbreaker on the road at SDSU, losing by one point 63-62, and look to get back on the horse, or Bronco rather, and beat UNM on the road in week 15. If they do so, then the MWC race will get a little bit more interesting,
6. Air Force: Poor Air Force. Just when momentum was on their side, cruel fate had to dash their hopes away with to killer losses to Nevada and New Mexico that may entirely silence their post-season ramble. Wins over CSU and UNLV in week 15 may vault Air Force back into post-season talk.
7. Wyoming: For the Cowboys, the NIT would be a blessing for Wyoming. O.K, so maybe the Pokes aren't in that big of a hole, but the way they are playing it is looking like they may finish at .500 or below for the entire season. If Wyoming can win the rest of their schedule, then they'd have a good shot of making the field of 68.
8. Nevada: For much of the MWC season, the Wolf Pack has played the part of the spoiler, delivering killer losses to both Boise State and Nevada. Though week 15 will provide the Wolf Pack with only two more easy wins, at Wyoming and home against Fresno State. The rest of their schedule is at SDSU, at Boise State, home against UNLV, home against UNM and on the road at CSU to wrap up their schedule.
9. Fresno State: Once again, the Bulldogs get their win of the century by beating UNLV at home in week 14. That is pretty much all for the dawgz.