Names that have been connected with the open Wyoming job have been Willie Fritz of Sam Houston State, former Cal head coach Jeff Tedford, Oakland Raiders wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore and Bobb Stitts of Colorado School of Mines.
Now there is a new name in Illinois State head coach Brock Spack, and initially there were reports from Bruce Feldman of CBS Sports that he was in Wyoming. However, Football Scopp as well as Feldman are reporting that Spack is on the Illinois State campus for a big recruiting weekend
Spack's name is linked to this job because he has ties to former Wyoming coach Joe Tiller when Spack was Wyoming's defensive coordinator during the Tiller era and went with Tiller to Purdue to be his defensive coordinator for 11 years.
Spack has been the head coach at Illinois State since the 2009 season and has a career record of 33-24 and made a playoff appearance in the 2012 season where he won the first game and then lost the second. Outside of that year he has been just above average.
His ties to being a former Wyoming coach and that Tiller really likes Spack gives him a shot for at least an interview with the Wyoming job, just likely not today.
- Mountain West championship game: Small crowd could be expected
- Mountain West championship 2013 game predictions
- Northern Illinois losing MAC title game could help MWC bowl chances
- UNLV vs. #2 Arizona: Getting to know the Arizona Wildcats basketball team
- Mountain West championship game 2013: TV schedule, streaming, odds and more