The initial odds are out for the inaugural Mountain West football title game and the previously BCS-bound Fresno St. Bulldogs are just a four-point favorite over the Utah State Aggies. Some places actually have the Bulldogs as a mere field goal favorite over the Aggies.
With this being a home game for Fresno State they are getting the three-point home bump, so if this game were in Logan, Utah, then Fresno State would be an underdog. The close line does make some sense since Utah State had a very good defense and whenever Fresno State plays a team that can actually stop another team they slip up and struggle; just go back and look at the Boise State game which they narrowly escaped.
The line will likely change throughout the week and probably will even do so Sunday afternoon once the weekly rankings come out, because Fresno State will be a 50/50 proposition of being ranked in any of the three polls.
Utah State comes into the title game on a five-game winning streak and during that winning streak has given up just over 10 points per game, won each game by an average of 23.4 points per game and is scoring 33.6 points per game.
Fresno State has played better down the stretch by blowing out some opponents after struggling against teams like Hawaii and San Diego State; before ultimately falling to San Jose State.
As for the momentum it obviously swings toward Utah State as the first Mountain West title game approaches.
- Mountain West football title game coverage
- PHOTOS: Utah State tops Wyoming to earn MWC title game berth
- Week 15 Projected BCS standings: Fresno State is done
- San Diego State vs. Marquette basketball: Getting to know the Golden Eagles
- Nevada vs. BYU final score: Cougars have big second half to top Wolf Pack, 28-23
- 2013 Mountain West title game: Fresno State will take on Utah State