So, first off I have been and am totally against this idea because it brings nothing to the table. I was able to listen to the teleconference on my drive home, so here are the highlights. Here is the press release as well.
- Air Force, Boise State, Central Florida, Houston and SMU all voted this morning to agree to this deal.
- Currently there are 22 teams involved.
- Through at least the first the two years the leagues would play their normal schedule and then a title game.
- Legislature will need to be put in place to have this cross-conference title game.
- 2013 is target date to begin, but possibly 2012.
- Neither commissioner has spoken to Bill Hancock to see if the champion receives a BCS bid.
- Television contracts will remain league specific.
- Title game can be sold to any network.
- After a year or two, there could be a divisional format.
- Possible semi-final matchup between divisional teams then title game.
- Bigger was mentioned a lot with the 22 teams and more inventory for television to sell.
I'll update momentarily with my own thoughts on this.