Getting to know Sherveport, Louisiana. The home of the Advocare V100 Independence Bowl and host of a Mountain West vs ACC matchup starting in 2010.
Interested in learning more about Shreveport? No.. Well too bad. Here is more information then you probably ever wanted to know.
Founded in 1836 by the Shreve Town Company to found a town at the junction of the Red River and Texas Trail. Now the 3rd largest city in Louisiana and 99th largest in the US with a population of 200,145.
Area is know as Ar-La-Tex. Arkansas-Louisiana-Texas
Area Code: 318
Industry: Home of a GM plant that produces the H3, H3T, Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon and Isuzu I-Series. Scheduled to close on or before 2012. Riverboat gambling has been growing in popularity over the years.
Climate: Typical of the region. Subtropical climate with lots of heat, humidity and rain.
Elevation: 144 ft
Average temp in December: High - 58 Low - 37
Former sports teams: Shreveport Pirates (Canadian Football League)
Shreveport Steamer (World Football League)
Current Teams: Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings (afl2) Bossier-Shreveport Mud Bugs (CHL) Shreveport-Bossier Captains (American Association) Independent Baseball
Airport: Shreveport Regional Airport (SHV) Served by Allegiant, American, Continental, Delta
- New Oreans - 342 miles / 5 hours 21 minutes
- Dallas - 186 miles /2 hours 59 minutes
- Houston - 241 miles /5 hours 44 minutes
- Albuquerque - 933 miles - 14 hours 26 minutes
- Colorado Springs - 1,049 miles - 16 hours 159 minutes
- Fort Collins - 1,120 miles - 17 hours 21 minutes
- Fort Worth - 222 miles - 3 hours 29 minutes
- Las Vegas - 1501 miles - 23 hours 59 minutes
- Laramie - 1201 miles - 18 hours 31 minutes
- Provo - 1,625 miles - 25 hours
- Salt Lake City - 1,591 miles - 25 hours
- San Diego -1,546 miles - 23 hours 49 minutes
Independence Bowl History
- Played in Independence Stadium
- Founded in 1976 and named after the Bicentennial celebration.
In 1990 became one the first bowls to take a corporate sponsor and became known as the Poulan Weed-Eater Bowl.
Other former Sponsors:
Sanford Writing Products 1998-2000
MainStay Investments 2001-2003
In 2005 the Bowl rejected the bid of Deja-Vu Gentleman's Clubs to become the title sponsor.
PetroSun - 2006-2007. PetroSun was supposed to be the sponsor through 2008 but bailed prior to the '08 game due the Economic crisis.
Advocare - 2009-Present Advocare is a maker of energy drinks and nutritional supplements that are sold through multi-level marketing.
Field Surface: Turf
Hosted a New Orleans Saint preseason game in 2005 while the Superdome was being repaired. The South Endzone borders Interstate 20. Hosts area high school football games during the Fall.
Last years Independence Bowl:
Lousiana Tech 17 Northern Illinois - 10
Attendance - 41,567
Nielsen Rating - 0.8